Sunday, June 8, 2008

300 hundred pairs of underwear

Why do they call it a pair of underwear? Donald says it is because it has two places for legs. Anyway, we were cleaning out the barn yet again and I was reminded of one of the really stressful times in my life.
It was hurricane season about three years ago. We had collected clothing and sent it over to the coast. We had sent men and food over to the coast. It all had been really, really stressful. To top it all off, we had asked for donations of pairs of large size underwear. It seems that was a much needed item. One of our sisters in the ward went to the local underwear manufacturer and found out we could get underwear classified as no good for free. There was nothing that would make it unwearable, it just wasn't perfect for some reason. So we went to pick it up. It filled three vans. We first stored it in the hallway of Bishop Burns house. It fit fine, I don't know why he was so anxious to have it moved somewhere else. We were never able to get it to the coast because the week after we picked it up no one was going that way anymore.
We began our quest to dispose of the underwear. I'll bet if you looked you would see the beautiful leopard print and cobalt blue on half the women in Tift County. We thought of sewing quilts with some of it. We were going to get the boys scouts to help move it from the Bishop's house to the barn. We changed plans when we pictured what those boys might do when they discovered what was in the boxes they were carrying. We gave it to relatives, church groups, anyone and everyone and still had underwear in the barn. Boxes and boxes of it. We couldn't burn it because of all the time we had invested and besides it was free! Finally after facing all those boxes every time I opened the barn, I saw an ad in the shopper. Someone wanted clothing. I called and told them what a goldmine I had. I don't know what they did with it, I hope they personally used some judging from the way they looked when they came to pick it up. I was just glad to see that old car drive off with boxes sticking out from the tied down trunk lid. And yes, I did keep one pair of it. I keep it to remind me that sometimes it is good to say no when someone makes what sounds like a great offer.

2 comments:

Carol said...

what else was useless stuff we gathered? wasn't there some butt ugly jewelry with feathers and dangly things?

The Sauls Family said...

Seriously, Mom. GOODWILL. Like two years ago. That's all you had to do. Crazy lady.