Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pound Cakes


Thanks to G-dad's chickens we have a lot of eggs on hand. I decided to make some pound cake using Great-grandmom Mcghee's recipe. I've made this cake many times. When we lived in Valdosta, GA way back in the 70's, the Bishop of the ward called me to the stand one Sunday. He gave me five dollars and told me to take my talents and multiply them. He also picked a young man for this challenge. I don't remember what the young man did, I just remember I did lots better than him. I bought ingredients with my money and cooked and sold pound cakes. I don't remember how much I made or what I charged, I just remember being glad when it was all over! Wish I had my double oven back then. I can whip them out quickly these days. Pound cake anyone? In case you are interested in the recipe, it is in the reunion cookbook which I am in the process of editing a second printing.

3 comments:

The Sauls Family said...

You can send home a pound cake with the girls! And some eggs, for that matter...

Carol said...

I'll take a pound cake myself. I remember eating Gmother McGhee's and the ones Mom used to make. My favorite part was the top crust. No matter how many times I tried making one, it never looked like either of theirs, but at least it still tasted good. I may just have to make one soon.

Susan said...

You made about $50 and sold them for $10 each!! I love everything about Grandmomma's pound cake- even the batter tastes great!