Thursday, March 4, 2010

Herding the Chickens

That is what G-dad called it and I wasn't going to argue with him. He decided to move the girls to a drier place and one a little closer to his house. He summoned the hired help and the fun began. Eileen is very hurt I didn't get the photo of her holding a chicken by one leg. She refused to do it again for some unknown reason. the rooster was the only really umcooperative one in the bunch. Come to think of it, I haven't heard him lately. Hum?Eileen did make a great chicken pot pie last night. Disclaimer: No chickens from the Compound pen were used in the making of dinner. Did I mention how muddy the yard was after all the rain we have been having?




After the first two aborted attempts at "herding" and only two cooperative females, we decided to see if we could get the rest into a big rabbit pen and carry them to their new home.








Eileen watching "the clipping of the wings" so they don't fly away. G-dad assures us it it like cutting one's fingernails.

3 comments:

Carol said...

That looks like lots of fun to me! I can't believe all the water that is hanging around in the yards. That's a lot of water!!!

Susan said...

Reminds me of the year we all learned to kill chickens when Dad was in Vietnam! Granddaddy McGhee was not as patient with us as Granddaddy Cattell is with chickens and kids!

Gawdun said...

Looks like it was fun. Every time I read your blog I want to have my own farm or live in a place that has the ability. hmmmm.