Sunday, May 1, 2011

Jed's Prom

Jed's junior prom was yesterday. Natascha made him reluctantly go with her. Not that he minds going places with her, just places that entail putting on long pants and combing his hair.
He was counting on my rose garden to provide flowers for a bouquet but when they didn't cooperate he started panicking a little and made a late night trip to Walmart Friday night because that is where everyone gets their girl flowers for prom. Sat morn I saw the measly little bundle of white mums he had picked up and asked if that was it. He informed me he expected me to do something with them.
Thanks to Melissa Nickle, who gave us all such insight into making do with what you have, I created a lovely little nosegay for Natascha. The pics don't do it justice. The zinna's had just burst into bloom and were the right color. The fern had survived the cold winter. I had purple pins Melissa had left behind. Oh, and Jed had picked up a roll of purple ribbon with the carnations.
There was one tiny little purple rosebud we watched all day, hoping to see it burst into full bloom before evening. At the eleventh hour I gave up and cut it anyway and pushed it into the middle of the mums and zinnas. Natascha thought it all was perfect and in the end her opinion is the only one that mattered.





3 comments:

The Sauls Family said...

In ten years he's going to wish he had cut his hair. In two years she's going to wish he had cut his hair.

What did they do for dinner??

Carol said...

If only he looked as thrilled as she did. The flowers look lovely. I think you did a marvelous job.

Nancy Seaman said...

They did Applebees for dinner. I tried to tell him about the hair but he wants his own porkchop picture.