Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Music

I had to add some music after reading and listening to Carol's blog. This morning on the way to school I was listening to some "oldies but goldies" and Jed asked me what was that stuff. We had a brief music appreciation lesson as I tried to rationalize how music from my period made more sense then today's stuff. Does that really make me one of the older generation? I changed it to a country station but he decided that wasn't much better, though who can beat some of those lyrics? Our current favorite is the daddy telling his daughter's date to have a good time with her and bring her home on time because he will be right there waiting at the table, polishing his gun. This actually happened to one of Jennifer's dates.
I quit listening to music for awhile after Timothy's death. Some songs had been so comforting I just couldn't stand to listen to them anymore. I am glad I was able to finally enjoy them again. One is on my playlist. It is from the Disney movie Tarzen. It expressed so well how I felt about the baby inside me; no matter what happened he would always be in my heart. One of my favorite things to do now is come in the office on Sunday afternoons and spend awhile listening to all kinds of music. I have learned after all "where would I be without my music?"

2 comments:

Rich and Vic said...

I understand about the music, although I am so picky about it,love all types but hard to listen to any for long periods of time. Sometimes at work I think I shall throw myself down the stairs if I hear one more country song. I know I should be more appreciative of it and maybe some day I will.

Carol said...

Isn't music fasinating? I've listened to music that makes me feel so uplifted, music that has made me have to sing along (even if I didn't know the words, music that evokes memories - good and bad, music that makes me cry, etc. I've sat and listened to music turned up so loud I know my neighbors have probably heard it. I've gotten on the interstate, put all the windows down, drove as fast as possible and turned up the music (Corey and I did this several times after the divorce) and it seemed to clear our minds. In fact, for a present Corey made me a special CD entitled "Windows Down" with hand-picked songs that we could both relate to. For example, "She's So High" when we were in Rocky Mountain National Park.

But the saddest music of all I found out, is the music you can't play at all. When I read your blog it made me remember a time that I, too, could not listen to music of any kind. My radio stayed off in my car for several months after Les left me and during the early part of my divorce. Songs reminded me of him, of significant occasions, "our" songs, etc. It was too painful to listen to them and just easier to do without because I had silent songs running through my head. The silence was better than being reminded of my pain.

Joe brought music back into my life - poor Joe. It's singing in the car for me all the time; turning up the speakers on my computers and jamming at home; it's Saturday mornings blasting out techno dance music while house cleaning; it's singing and dancing during the commercials. But he just smiles and says he loves it. I know he's lying, but isn't it nice that the love of my life loves me - music and all?!