Friday, May 2, 2008

Looking for Matthew


I realized I talk a lot about Jed but haven't mentioned Matthew. Most of you know he is trying to "find himself" at the moment. Donald and I both tried to kick him out this week but it didn't work. We welcome all advice on the subject, just don't get offended if we don't take it. He does have a second interview at Starbuck's on Monday so everyone pray for him. I think getting a job that gives structure to his life will help his situation. For those who have met her, Beenish is back in the picture. She seems to be a good influence on him. He always goes into a cleaning frenzy when she is going to show up. I can talk about him on this blog and say what I want pretty much. I asked if he had read any of them this morning and he said no. I am trying to look at the big picture with him and not compare him with what my other children had going on at this stage in their lives. I think that is one of the big mistakes people make. Comparing themselves to other mothers, fathers, workers, etc. is not the way it should be. How boring life would be if we were all the same. One thing that can be said about Matthew is that life has never been boring around him. Not to fall into the trap I mentioned above, did anyone see the Donny Osmond interview where he talked about his mother. She died Mother's Day four years ago. He said at her memorial service one of the older brothers told everyone he always knew he was the favorite. Everyone else started laughing and he said, no really. When they laughed again he said that was what was wonderful because she made each of her children feel that way. Shall I do a post saying what is wonderful and special about each of my children or shall we just wait and see how the grandchildren turn out. They say that is the true measure of how good a job a parent truly did.
I made a video for Matt while he was wrestling. I was playing around with the media movie maker one night. I had to use the most of whatever pictures I had and it just happened to be wrestling ones at that time. I will try and do another with family pictures I have now that we all have cameras. It will be a summer project.


1 comment:

Rich and Vic said...

I don't have any advice but do have some broad shoulders when you need someone (besides Donald) to lean on. Matt is a good kid and I have a feeling he will come into his own, maybe just a bit later than all the others, lets keep our fingers crossed with the Beenish thing...I have met her and she is a sweetheart.
PS: we better wait to see how the grandkids turn out :)