Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Every Day is Mother's Day

That was the name of a tv show back in the 80's or early 90's. It was hosted by Joan Lunden, the Katie Couric of her day. She was a supermom and had it all and did it all so it seemed.Everyone wanted to be her. That is why I intensely dislike Mother's Day. For every mom out there who is perfect and everyone knows it, there are hundreds just struggling to make it a few more hours. I heard that when we speak in church,bear testimony, or teach in meetings, we should never say how grateful we are of our children's achievements; mission, temple marriage, etc. It isn't the place. It doesn't edify or teach anyone. I've thought a lot about that concept and agree. There is a time and place for expressing those sentiments.
I am lucky to have been able to bear children. I loved being pregnant and feeling them inside of me. Let's be honest, though, once they were born I could have done a better job. I am not comparing myself to others, I am saying I had it in me to do better and for whatever reason didn't. I had my good moments. I have always had good homemade treats available. I know the boys love their honeybuns but they like my cinnamon buns also. Except for Jed, of course.
No matter how I did, I have some great children. Jennifer loves books and and the fine arts and makes sure her girls get to the library like I did with her. Dave excels in survival skills including driving in big city traffic. Helen can get down and dirty digging in the dirt to plant vegetables. That is very exciting to Grandaddy and myself. Matthew is tenderhearted and deeply loyal to his friends. Jed was born an old man and wise beyond his years. It doesn't matter how anyone else views my children to me they are my most wonderful gifts from God.

3 comments:

The Sauls Family said...

I took the picture that you love so much. CREDIT THE PHOTOGRAPHER PLEASE! :P

How long did it take you to think of a good thing to say about all of us?

Anonymous said...

How interesting it is to see different points-of-view. Points-of-view are so funny because where one person sees pride another will see comments made in order to bolster one's own faltering self esteem. Just an example and not a personal attack or anything.I would have never considered you to be anything other than a great mother. Remember that mistakes are part of life and can NOT be avoided. I believe that loved ones are intended to love us more through our mistakes than our accomplishments because the mistakes are more lasting. Wouldn't the world be great is we were less critical of others AND ourselves?

Nedidiah said...

Old man? You compare me to an old man? Gee, thanks. I already get enough of that at school.