Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Speaking of Pecans

Eileen and I both had the same dream the other night. We dreamed we were digging pecans out of the grass with our toes every time we closed our eyes. This is what happens when you spend all day looking down for the brown nuts in the brown leaf piles.
I have developed a new technique this year to accommodate my advancing years. I call it the "rake and scoot" method. I rake all the leaves/pecans into long rows. Then I sit on my bottom at the beginning of the row and with one hand rake through the leaves while picking out pecans with the other. When I finish the area in front of me I scoot on down the row until I reach the end. I have developed the twirl method for moving my bucket. I simply turn it up on the bottom rim and roll until it advances to where I want it to be. There are a couple of downfalls to my methods. First,is the occasional antpile I happen into. Then there are the bugs whose homes have been disturbed by my raking. There is also the unknown hard objects found while digging through the piles. The biggest problem this year has been Roxie, the compound dog of the moment. She takes my sitting on the ground as an open invitation to come nuzzle my face and sit in my lap. While she is not a very large dog, these actions make it impossible to sort out pecans. If I push her head away she takes that as a sign I want to play a little rougher. Thankfully, she is easily distracted if you throw a stick for her to fetch. She chases and picks up the stick like a pro but has not mastered the art of returning to the thrower. I try to keep sticks with me as I scoot along and hope she will find distraction as she runs happily away from me!

3 comments:

Carol said...

What an interesting method! It beats having your face smothered in your boobs everytime you bend over, huh? Oh, I forgot you don't have to worry 'bout that, do you?

Nancy Seaman said...

No that is one thing I have never had to worry about. Hadn't even thought that might be a problem for some. I thought the bending over method might squish some of my belly fat but my back, knee joints, and neck said forget the belly and let the bum have all the action.

Nedidiah said...

All u have to do is pop her with the tips of ur fingers, tell her to move, snap, and point, and she'll move!! It works every night in bed!!